Latest Updates

Minor Accidents in IRONMAN 70.3 Philippines

CEBU, Philippines - A policeman landed in the hospital after he was hit by a cyclist who lost control of her bicycle during yesterday’s Ironman event.

Sr. Supt. Armando Radoc, Lapu-Lapu City Police chief, said the incident happened when cyclist Melissa Baron was pedaling down the Mactan end of the Marcelo Fernan Bridge.

Photographed from below and silhouetted against the sky, participants of the Cobra Ironman 70.3 Philippines take on the appearance of a school of fish during the swimming leg of the race off the Shangri-La Mactan Resort and Spa. FERDINAND EDRALIN 

PO1 Mark Anthony Cabahug who was assigned in crowd control was standing at the railing of the bridge near the spot where Baron lost control of her bike.

He managed to stop Baron from slamming into the railing but was hit by her bike in the process, his arm fractured by the impact.
“Timing lang nga diha ang pulis sa may railings unya dali niya nasagang ang cyclist kay kung wala pa ulo gyud ang igo ato,” Radoc told The Freeman.

“Sementuhunon gyud to iyang bukton pero ok na siya,” Radoc added.

Cabahug was taken to the Mactan Doctors Hospital.

Baron, Radoc said, also suffered minor injuries but chose to continue with the race. Four other cyclists also lost control of their bikes at the same spot, the part of the bridge that curves down to the main road. 

In Cebu City, the City Traffic Operations Management (CITOM) recorded six minor accidents involving seven athletes. Four lost control of their bicycles while two fell after bumping into each other. One other cyclist was hit accidentally by a marshal on a motorcycle.

No one was hurt seriously.

Tumulak said six other accidents were recorded outside the race route and vehicles of two marshals had to be confiscated and impounded for absence of plate numbers and documents.  Citation tickets were also issued to four other marshals for driving without a helmet.

“Daan nami nagpahibaw sa mga marshal nga mosulod gani sila sa city, dapat gyod sila mu-follow sa balaod kay international event man gud ni,” Tumulak said.

The traffic situation in Cebu City was also manageable during the conduct of the race.


Sr. Supt. Conrad Capa, Deputy Regional Director for Operation, said the event was successful, safety-wise.

“Yun na man talaga kasama na yan (bike accidents) but (so far) wala tayong natatangap na incident… it is peaceful,” Capa said.

At least 1,000 personnel were deployed to secure the areas in Mactan Island that played host to the race. Deployed together with the Lapu-Lapu Police were the Regional Public Safety Company, Citizen Police Auxiliary Force, Barangay Public Safety Officers, 2nd Infantry Division, Naval Forces Central, Maritime Unit and ROTC students.

Radoc attributed the peaceful conduct of the race to the briefings and awareness campaign prior to yesterday’s event.  At least 2,500 contingents from 40 countries took part in the race. Last year, there were 2,100 contingents from 35 countries.

National roads were open to motorists and commuters at exactly 12:18 p.m. 
From the FREEMAN wires

No comments